THROWBACK THURSDAY! :Tales of how I once slept on a bike and more.


Isn’t it amazing how some memories stick to our brain and never leave? Especially the ones from decades ago…lol.

The other day, I was peeling an orange for my father, and I flashed back to a moment in my secondary school days about 12 years ago, when my then social studies teacher brought an orange to school.

 It was an orange that was badly peeled by her supposedly mature housemaid, and she brought it to school just so she could show her colleagues and other staff members.

I can’t help but remember how they all gazed at the awry looking orange in awe and wondered how a seemingly old and mature girl could have peeled an orange that badly. That memory isn’t even useful for me in life *screams*  but memories huh…

Sometimes, you wander off on the memory lane and, you suddenly remember the exact words someone said to you while you were at a very tender age. It's just like how I remember the way a woman once shouted at me because I was sleeping on a bike!!! *laughs* yes, you read that correctly. I slept off on a bike!

By my calculations, I believe it was only a display of motherly affection and she just wanted to make sure I didn’t fall off the bike as I slept. It’s so funny even I am laughing as I type this...lol, memories!

That was a LONG TIME ago by the way.

Another day, a particular song is played, and that’s all that I need to revile the tales of my journey back home from a tutorial one blessed evening.

I remember sitting at the back seat of a tattered and jagged “town igboro” bus as I made my way back home from that tutorial I attended in preparation for my *JAMB examination.

As the song,

 Jesus oh Jesus,

oh how I love,

Calling your name… by Shirley Caesar

played in the background, all I had on my mind was how it was going to look like being a university student.

The pride of being an undergraduate, the freedom, the fun, the “show off” and all that came with it. Oh, I longed for it all!, and that is one memory that I love by the way.

 So now, LISTEN UP!  All my tales aren’t for nothing.

The moments of today make up our memories of tomorrow.  Moments in the days, and hours, in the minutes, and seconds all come back to us as good memories or otherwise.

Someone dear to my heart will always say, “take the opportunity of today, once it’s gone, you can never have it back.”  The fact is that you can choose to enjoy the moments of today (even with the vicissitudes, yes) and have fond memories tomorrow, or you can choose to do otherwise.

 Enjoy the moment and live in the now! Don’t just exist, LIVE!!!

 I’ll leave you with this poem that I wrote on the 29th of August 2020. Funny I remember the exact date too right?

 

In the twinkle of an eye when all shall pass

Time will fly and memories are all we’ll have

Memories of good and otherwise

Memories of love and broken ties

All those shall linger in our hearts

So, cherish the moments that you have

For in the seconds, and in the minutes

In the hours, and in the days

Time will fly and the days shall pass

But memories are all we’ll have.

 

DON’T JUST EXIST, LIVE!


What fond memories do you have? What funny memories do you always relive?

 Share them with me in the comment section, I’ll really love to hear them!

  

Comments

Popular Posts